Swiss Chard Pesto
By WLR's Food Information Executive, Laurence Beeken
Prep time 5 mins | serves 4 | 281 calories per serving
- 1 Thin Spread/7g Butter, Salted, Average
- 2 Tbsps/30ml Oil, Olive, Extra Virgin, Average
- 2 Cloves/6g Garlic, Raw, Average
- 300g Chard, Average
- 50g Pine Nuts, Average
- 100g Cheese, Parmesan, Average
- 25g Coriander, Leaves, Fresh, Average
- Wash the chard thoroughly and shake to dry. Peel and chop the garlic. Chop the chard stems. Roughly chop the chard leaves.
- In a heavy based pan, melt the butter with the olive oil. Sauté the garlic for 2 minutes.
- Add the chard to the pan. Cook, covered, for 5 minutes then add the chard leaves Cook for another 3 minutes.
- Toast the pine nuts for a couple of minutes in either a pre-heated grill or in a dry heavy based frying pan. Add to the chard mixture.
- Puree the mixture until it looks like pesto.
This recipe can be useful for using up a glut of Swiss Chard. You can keep the pesto in the fridge for up to 3 days, or you can freeze it in small pots.