Swiss Chard Pesto
The perfect addition to a salad or pasta dish, and you can boast that you made it yourself!
- Recipe makes: 4 servings
- Prep time:
- Cook time: 12 mins
- Calories: 281
- 7g butter
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 300g chard
- 50g pine nuts
- 100g parmesan
- 25g coriander leaves
- Wash the chard thoroughly and shake to remove excess water. Peel and chop the garlic. Chop the chard stems. Roughly chop the chard leaves.
- In a heavy based pan, melt the butter with the olive oil. Sauté the garlic for 2 minutes.
- Add the chard stems to the pan. Cook, covered, for 5 minutes then add the chard leaves. Cook for another 3 minutes.
- Toast the pine nuts for a couple of minutes in either a pre-heated grill or in a dry heavy based frying pan. Add to the chard mixture along with the parmesan and coriander.
- Puree the mixture until it looks like pesto.
This recipe can be useful for using up a glut of Swiss Chard. You can keep the pesto in the fridge for up to 3 days, or you can freeze it in small pots.
|Fruit & Veg||1.1|
WLR has an extensive range of low-fat and low calorie recipes to help you follow a healthy, balanced diet. Try it free for 24 hours.