Have Fun and Get Fit
By Dietitian, Juliette Kellow BSc RD
Whether you’re holidaying abroad or simply having a day out in the UK, use the change of scenery to boost your fitness plan. With no appointments or schedules to stick to, you'll have plenty more time to get active. Here are just some of the ways you can get fit while having fun on holiday.
1. Take an hour on your first day to explore your surroundings rather than lying on a sun lounger. You’ll feel more energetic and even walking slowly will burn 175 calories, while giving you the chance to see exactly what activities are on offer for the rest of your holiday.
2. Don’t fall into the trap of thinking that going to the beach means lying on it. Whether you’re at home or abroad, you’ll give your legs a fantastic workout just by walking barefoot on dry sand.
3. Cool off in the sea or swimming pool by floating on your back rather than on an airbed – you’ll use your stomach muscles and so help tone that tum. Swimming or treading water will help burn off some of the fat covering them, too. And if you swim a few lengths every day, you'll soon burn off enough calories to enjoy that margarita in the evening!
4. Let your hair down in the evenings and dance the night away. Not only will you have a great time, but you'll be burning up those cocktail calories as well!
5. Try some new water sports – water-skiing, jet skiing, windsurfing and paragliding are great fun and will get you moving.
6. Get your money’s worth – take advantage of any sports facilities that are included in the price of your holiday, such as fitness classes, water sports or free hire of snorkelling equipment.
7. Don’t use your holiday as an excuse to skip your regular workouts. Before you go away, find out if your resort has a gym. That way you can make sure you take along a t-shirt, shorts and pair of trainers. And remember – holidays are about having more time to yourself and trying different things, so if you’ve never set foot inside a gym, maybe now is the time to have a go.
8. Hire a pedalo for an hour. You’ll see the coastline while burning as many calories as you would as if you were cycling slowly – that’s around 420 calories in an hour!
9. If you’re staying by the sea, buy a cheap snorkel and mask. You’ll have so much fun looking at the underwater scenery, you won’t realise you’re burning around 210 calories in half an hour. Make sure you wear a waterproof sun lotion with a high SPF though to avoid getting burnt.
10. Have a day away from the beach to visit another town or nearby sight – but instead of getting the bus, hire a bicycle. It’s a great way to see the countryside, get your heart pumping and tone your legs. But better still, it gives you the opportunity to stop wherever you like to take photos or have a drink.
11. Whether you’re at home or away, make the most of warm, light evenings to take a leisurely stroll in pleasant surroundings. If you live in the city, you’ll be able to get away from it all at your local park.
12. If you’re holidaying at home, plan lots of action-packed days out with the children. Take them swimming or rollerblading and join in the fun, too. Or arrange a picnic in the park with other families and set up team games such as rounders, five-a-side football or Frisbee. You’ll burn calories without even knowing.
Bonus Tip. Join up for a WLR free trial and get clued up to really enjoy any holiday.
Track your diet and exercise with the Weight Loss Resources exercise diary and database. You can see how many calories you burn and how many you eat. Try it free for 24 hours.