Heavenly Cheesy Burger and Chips
By the wlr team
Want to eat burgers while on a diet? Try our low calorie burger and chips recipe for an indulgent treat guilt free. Our cheeseburger meal including chips comes in at just 494 calories... and includes over 2 of your 5-a-day.
- Recipe makes: 2 servings
- Prep time:
- Cook time: 10 mins
- Calories: 494
- 200g Extra Lean Beef Mince
- 1 Shallot, peeled and finely diced
- 1 Tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Clove Garlic, crushed
- 2 Small Soft White Bread Rolls
- ½ Med Tomato, sliced
- 160g Iceberg Lettuce, shredded
- 300g Potatoes, peeled and sliced into chips
- 20 Sprays Sunflower oil Spray
- 40g Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 Tsp Sunflower Oil
- 4 Tsp Tomato Ketchup
- 1 Sm Red Onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 Pinch Salt
- 1 Pinch Black Pepper
- 2 Pickled Gherkins
- ¼ Tsp English Mustard
Want to try different ingredients?
You can add this recipe to My Recipes in WLR and swap ingredients to make it perfect for you . . .
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4. Place a pan of slightly salted water on to boil (you can boil the water in the kettle first if you'd like).
Once boiling put the potato chips into the pan and allow to simmer for 5 minutes to par-boil. You want the chips just tender but not falling apart.
2. Mix together the mince, shallots, garlic, Worcestershire sauce with a pinch of salt and pepper in a bowl. Using your hands makes this much easier!
Separate the mixture into two even lumps and form each into a ball. Put on a board/plate and gently pat each ball down slightly to form a thick, juicy burger.
3. Once the chips are ready drain and set aside to allow them to steam off any excess water. Spray a roasting tin with sunflower oil spray. Tip the chips into the tin and spray the top of them with sunflower oil, then sprinkle a little salt and pepper on top.
Put the tray into the oven. The chips will need to cook for about 20 - 25 minutes, and will need turning once mid way through cooking.
4. Put a frying or griddle pan onto a medium to high heat on the hob. Brush both sides of the burgers will a little sunflower oil.
When the chips are about 10 minutes away from being cooked place the burgers into the pan. The burgers will need 5-7 minutes each side, depending on how thick they are and how you like them cooked.
5. While the burgers are cooking turn the grill on to a medium heat. Slice the rolls in half and place under the grill to toast (keeping a close eye on them!).
6. Once the burgers are cooked top with the mozzarella cheese and place under the grill for a couple of minutes until the cheese is melting.
7. Serve the burger in the bun with the sliced tomato, a little of the lettuce and the ketchup (with a bit of english mustard if you fancy), Put on a plate with the chips and pickles on the side next to the remaining lettuce with the sliced onion as a side salad.
Want to find out more about how many calories are in takeaway fast food dishes? Check out how many calories your favourite fast food meal has and see why a quick and easy homemade version helps your weight loss efforts!
If you're looking for help getting started with a weight loss meal plan, we have plenty to choose from to suit your needs - browse our 26 Weekly Diet Plans for calorie counted menu's to get you started.
This recipe is taken from our Fad Free Recipes Book - a selection of filling favourites and recipes from around the world that contain normal, everyday ingredients readily available from your supermarket.
Take a look at one calorie counter's in-depth Fad Free Recipes review...
|Fruit & Veg||2.4|
Use WLR’s tools and food database to calorie count your own diet recipes, and add them directly to your food diary. Try it Free for 24 hours.
You'll find 30 delish dinners, 30 lush lunches and 30 scrummy breakfasts in this colourful book ... quick-and-easy recipes for calorie counted meals that prove you don't need to feel deprived when you're dieting. Only £7.99 in the wlr shop