By the wlr team
For melt in your mouth tender beef cook your bredie slowly. A great recipe for a slow cooker. The flavours are greatly improved if you make it a day in advance.
- Recipe makes: 6 servings
- Prep time:
- Cook time: 2 hrs 30 mins
- Calories: 365
- 1kg beef stewing steak
- 10 pumps extra virgin olive oil spray
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 onions
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 70g tomato paste
- 1 tsp white sugar
- ¼ tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 375 chicken stock
- 3 potatoes
- Peel and chop the onions, peel and crush the garlic. Peel and cube the potatoes.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (325°F, Gas Mark 3)
- Cube the meat. Spray a heavy based pan with the oil and heat.
- Add the meat in batches and stir-fry until brown. Remove each batch with a slotted spoon and keep to one side. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fry the onions in the pan until golden (you may need to add a dash of water if they start to stick), then add the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, chilli, paprika, garlic, herbs, water and stock cube. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Add the cooked meat and transfer all to an oven proof casserole dish. Place in the oven and cook the bredie very slowly for 2 hours. Add the cubed potatoes and continue simmering for a further ½ an hour.
The bredie will improve with keeping so prepare a day in advance and leave to mature in the refrigerator if you can. Reheat and serve with steamed rice.
|Fruit & Veg||1.9|
Check out the WLR Recipe Database for 1000’s of new recipe ideas that won’t break the calorie bank. Try it free for 24 hours.