Chana Daal & Squash Curry
By WLR's Food Information Executive, Laurence Beeken
Serves 6 | 264 calories per serving
- 175g Split Peas, Yellow, Tesco
- 450ml Water, Mineral Or Tap
- 2oz/56g Tamarind, Pulp
- 4 Tbsps/60ml Oil, Vegetable, Average
- 1 Med/180g Onions, Raw, Average
- 2 Meds/26g Peppers, Chilli, Green, Raw, Unprepared, Average
- 2 Cloves/6g Garlic, Raw, Average
- 2 Tsps/4g Ginger, Root, Raw, Pared, Average
- 1oz/28g Curry Leaves, Fresh
- 1 Tsp/4g Chilli Powder, Average
- ¼ Tsp/1.3g Salt, Table, Average
- 1 Tsp/3g Turmeric, Powder
- 450g Squash, Winter, Butternut, Raw, Unprepared, Average
- 2 Med (-in)s/246g Tomatoes, Fresh, Raw, Average
- 1 Bunch/20g Coriander, Leaves, Fresh, Average
- Cook the split peas according to the packet instructions, remembering that they will need soaking the night before.
- Meanwhile, prepare the tamarind by placing the pulp into boiling water (4 fl oz to 2 oz pulp) and leaving for 15 minutes or longer. When softened, strain through a sieve and discard the pulp.
- When the peas are soft (but not mushy) put to one side. Do not drain.
- Peel, de-seed and cube the squash.
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pan and soften the onion along with the chillies, garlic, ginger, & curry leaves. Add the chilli powder, salt and turmeric and fry for 1-2 minutes before adding the squash.
- Add the split peas and their cooking water to the mixture, then add the tamarind juice, tomatoes and chopped coriander. Simmer until the squash is cooked.
Serve with plain boiled rice.