Spicy Orange Beef & Broccoli Stir Fry
By WLR Staff, Laura Meads
Prep time 60 mins | serves 6 | 262 calories per serving
- 3 Meds/435g Oranges, Fresh, without Peel, Average
- 3 Tbsps/45ml Sauce, Soy, Reduced Salt, Amoy
- 1 Tbsp/15ml Mirin, Rice Wine, Sweetened, Average
- 5g Sugar, Caster, Average
- 3 Tsps/15ml Oil, Peanut, Average
- 1lb/454g Beef, Steak, Sirloin, Raw, Lean
- 3 Cloves/9g Garlic, Raw, Average
- 2 Tbsps/12g Ginger, Root, Raw, Pared, Average
- 10g Chillies, Dried, Whole, Red, Schwartz
- 2lb/908g Broccoli, Green, Raw, Average
- 1 Med/160g Peppers, Capsicum, Red, Raw, Unprepared, Average
- 1 Cup/160g Noodles, Egg, Cooked, Average
- 1 Glass/200ml Water, Mineral Or Tap
- With a small sharp knife or vegetable peeler, carefully cut wide strips of zest from one of the oranges. Cut zest into 1-inch strips and set aside. Squeeze juice from all the oranges into a small bowl. Add soy sauce, rice wine and sugar and stir to combine; set aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat until almost smoking. Add beef and stir-fry just until no longer pink on the outside, about 1 minute. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels and set aside.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the pan and heat until very hot. Add garlic, ginger, chiles and the reserved orange zest; stir-fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add broccoli and water. Cover and steam, stirring occasionally, until the water has evaporated and the broccoli sizzles, about 3 minutes. Add bell pepper and stir-fry for 1 minute more.
- Stir the reserved orange sauce and pour it into the wok. Bring to a boil, stirring; cook until the sauce has thickened slightly, 1 to 2 minutes. Add noodles and heat through.