Easy Squeezy Ways to Get Grapefruit into Your Diet Menu
By Dietitian, Juliette Kellow BSc RD
- Have half a grapefruit for breakfast - it's virtually fat free and contains just 35 calories. Sprinkle over artificial sweetener rather than sugar if you like it sweet.
- Have a glass of grapefruit juice with each meal but make sure it's unsweetened. Try diluting it with sugar-free lemonade if it's too sharp for your tastebuds. Allow 45 calories for a 150ml glass.
- Make a Florida cocktail and serve as a starter - peel and segment half a grapefruit and one orange and mix with a little unsweetened grapefruit juice.
- Add grapefruit to salads - it goes well with crab, prawns, chicken, avocado, red onion, celery, raddichio and spinach.
- Use grapefruit juice as a mixer for alcoholic drinks such as vodka or gin.
- For special occasions splash out 170 calories on a Seabreeze cocktail - shake 50ml vodka with 75ml each of grapefruit juice and cranberry juice. Serve over ice.
Weight Loss Resources has a great set of tools to help you find a way of dieting you can live with. Find out how to achieve the calorie balance that is going to get you to your ideal weight without a list of forbidden foods. You can access the tools free for 24 hours.